Four days of hiking high above Zermatt, surrounded by 4000-m peaks and glaciers. Not only home to the legendary Matterhorn, Zermatt also boasts a diverse flora and fauna, larch and stone-pine forest, over 150 lakes, a fascinating geological history, and a rich local culture.
Steep-sided Trift gorge with botanical path and an astounding variety of wild flowers; Höhbalmen high-level panoramic trail opposite the Matterhorn; the three-lake tour, including the beautiful calm Schwarzsee with its little chapel; and a high-level climb to the 3414 m summit of the Oberrothorn, with 360° views of the 4000-ers.
Type of hiking
- 4 days of guided hikes, with discovery of the local flora and fauna, geology, history and culture.
- Hikes at level 3*, for enthusiastic hikers on good form; up to 1000 m ↑ and ↓ and 3–6.5 hours of walking each day (excluding breaks), plus need to carry rucksack with clothes, picnics and overnight kit for the 4 days.
- Technical level: mostly T2 (Swiss Alpine Club grading) with possibly a few sections at T3.
- Overnight stays with half-board in dormitory accommodation.
- Day 1: Zermatt 1616 m– Trift 2337 m; c. 720 m ↑ , 2.5 h (possible alternative, depending on group’s capacity and wishes: Zermatt – Chüeberg – Wisshorn 2936 m – Trift, c. 1300 m ↑, 600 m ↓, 6.5 h) .
- Day 2: Trift 2337 m – Höhbalmen 2665 m – Schwarzläger – Stafelalp – Schwarzsee 2583 m; c. 850 m ↑, 650 m ↓, 6 h.
- Day 3: Schwarzsee 2583 m – Furi 1867 m – Grünsee 2300 m ‒ Stellisee – Fluhalp 2618 m; c. 900 m ↑ and ↓, 6.5 h.
- Day 4: Fluhalp 2618 m – Furggji – Oberrothorn 3414 m – Unterrothorn 3104 m, then descent by cablecar; c. 940 m ↑, 450 m ↓, 4.5 h (or optional extra: descent to Sunnegga or Zermatt via Ritzengrat).
Itinerary may be modified to take account of local weather conditions or for the security of the group.
Price and booking
If you are tempted, please contact me to discuss your needs!