Surrounded by 4000-m peaks and glaciers, Zermatt offers an astounding variety of hikes with breath-taking views. Not only home to the legendary Matterhorn (climbed for the first time 150 years ago), Zermatt also boasts a diverse flora and fauna, larch and stone-pine forest, over 150 lakes, a fascinating geological history, and a rich local culture.
Type of hiking
- Day hikes from our base in the village of Zermatt.
- 3 days of guided hikes, with discovery of the local flora and fauna, geology, history and culture.
- For enthusiastic walkers with a reasonable level of fitness; max. 1000 m up and down per day (excluding breaks).
- Technical level: mostly T2 (Swiss Alpine Club grading), with possibly some short sections at T3.
Examples of day tours
Choice will depend on the local weather conditions and capacities of the group.
- Ritzengrat: wonderful ridge ascent from Sunnegga; an endless variety of wild flowers including edelweiss.
- Glacier garden and Riffelsee: from Furi over a spectacular suspension bridge to the glacier garden with its the boulders, mills and rock formations, testifying to Zermatt’s glacial history; then up to Riffelsee with its famous reflections of the Matterhorn.
- Oberrothorn: a high-level climb to the 3414 m summit of the Oberrothorn, with 360° views of the 4000-ers.
- Gorner gorge and Schwarzsee: from meadows up via the towering cliffs and natural beauty Gorner gorge to the beautiful calm Schwarzsee with its little chapel.
- Hörnli Hut: a steep, rocky climb up to this famous hut at the foot of the world-famous Matterhorn.
- “Glacier trail”: a hike through a landscape of rock and scree sculpted by former glaciers.
- The “five lakes” circuit: five varied lakes, panoramic views, Swiss stone pines and rare alpine flowers.
- Höhbalmen panorama route (if the group is ready for a few extra metres of climbing!): via the botanic path and steep-sided Trift gorge (possible ibex) up onto the spectacular high-level trail opposite the Matterhorn and back to Zermatt via the picturesque hamlet of Zmutt.
Price and booking
I’d be happy to quote a price for your group, to include: 3 days’ guided hikes; 3 nights’ accommodation (choice of comfort level); optional pass for a selection of mountain lifts.
If you are tempted, please contact me to discuss your needs!