Friday 9 July - Wednesday 14 July
A six-day trek over mountain passes along the Via Alpina from the Glarus alps to the Bernese Oberland — with some scenic variants along the way!
The beautiful Urnerboden valley, Switzerland’s largest alp, flanked by steep cliffs; the high-level panorama trail above Schächental; Engstlenalp with its idyllic lake, nostalgic mountain hotel and alpine rhododendrons; the Horizon Trail ridge walk with wonderful views of the Bernese Oberland Giants, Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau; and endless meadows of early-summer wildflowers.
Type of hiking
- 6 days of guided hikes, with discovery of the local flora and fauna, geology, history and culture.
- Hikes at level 3*/4*, for experienced, sure-footed walkers not suffering from vertigo; up to 1300 m ↑ and 1150 m ↓ and 4.5–6.5 hours of walking each day (excluding breaks), plus need to carry rucksack with clothes, picnics and overnight kit for the 6 days.
- Technical level: mostly T2 (Swiss Alpine Club grading) with some exposed sections at T3.
- Overnight stays with half-board in twin rooms with showers available.
- Friday 9 July (meet Braunwald at 10.30 a.m.): Braunwald – Urnerboden c. 570 m ↑, 440 m ↓, 4h45.
- Saturday 10 July: Urnerboden – Fisetenpass – Klausenpass; c. 1100 m ↑, 550 m ↓, 5h.
- Sunday 11 July: Klausenpass – Schächentaler Höhenweg – Biel (then Altdorf); c. 530 m ↑, 870 m ↓, 5h15.
- Monday 12 July: Brüsti – Surenenpass – Fürenalp (then Engelberg); c. 1150 m ↑, 850 m ↓, 6h.
- Tuesday 13 July: Engelberg – Jochpass – Engstlenalp; c. 1300 m ↑, 450 m ↓, 5h45.
- Wednesday 14 July: Engstlenalp – Tannalp – Balmeregghoren – Bidmi (then Meiringen); c. 750 m ↑, 1150 m ↓, 6 h15.
Itinerary may be modified to take account of local weather conditions or for the security of the group.
Please note the start time on 9 July. Depending on where you live, you may need to spend Thursday night already in the region.
Price and booking
CHF 990 per person (min. 6, max. 8 participants), including: 6 days’ guided hikes; 5 nights’ accommodation with half-board in twin rooms with showers available. Please also allow about CHF 70 for mountain lifts and bus transport (with half-price card) or about CHF 55 with general abonnement.
Price excludes: transport, insurances, picnic lunches, drinks.
Simply click on the “Book now” button to reserve your place. Booking deadline: 2 June 2020.
COVID-19 pandemic: please carefully read my updated Terms and Conditions before signing up.