A long-weekend hut-to-hut trek taking us from the unspoilt village of Bergün (picturesque houses decorated with sgraffito, frescoes and oriel windows and an 800-year old Romanesque church) via lakes, wild valleys and rocky cols to finish in the Engadine village of Lavin on the River Inn.
Panoramic trail from the scenic Ravais-ch lakes to the eco-friendly Keschhütte at the foot of the majestic Piz Kesch and Porchabella Glacier; alpine flowers, marmots and wide views from the Val Funtauna high route climbing to the Scalettapass; rocky descent from the Jöriflüelafurgga to the deep turquoise-blue Jöri lakes (see photo above) and green Vereinatal.
If you can afford the time, it’s worth travelling to Bergün early on the first day to take advantage of the spectacular train journey on the UNESCO World Heritage line and perhaps visit the historic Bergün village and its new Albula Railway Museum.
Type of hiking
- 4 days of guided hikes, with discovery of the local flora and fauna, geology, history and culture.
- For experienced walkers in good shape; 500‒1500 m up, 250‒1400 m down and 5‒8 hours’ walking per day (excluding breaks), plus need to carry rucksack with clothes, picnics and overnight kit for the 4 days.
- Technical level: mostly T2 (Swiss Alpine Club grading); several sections at T3.
- Overnight stays in dormitory accommodation, some with showers: Kurhaus Bergün; Keschhütte (Swiss Alpine Club); Grialetschhütte (Swiss Alpine Club); Berghaus Vereina. Half-board included except for first night, but individual à la carte dinner available in Bergün if you arrive early evening.
- Day 1 evening: arrive in Bergün (e.g. with 17.20 train from Lausanne, arriving Bergün 22.24).
- Day 2: Bergün 1372 m – Latsch – Chants – Lai da Ravais-ch – Keschhütte 2625 m; up c. 1500 m, down c. 270 m, c. 7 h 30 min.
- Day 3: Keschhütte 2625 m – Scalettapass 2606 m – Chamanna da Grialetsch 2542 m; up c. 500 m, down c. 580 m, c. 5 h.
- Day 4: Chamanna da Grialetsch 2542 m – Fuorcla Radönt 2788 m – Flüelapass 2383 m – Wägerhus 2207 m – Jöriflüelafurgga 2725 m – Jöriseen – Berghaus Vereina 1943 m; up c. 810 m, down 1410 m, c. 7 h 45 min.
- Day 5: Berghaus Vereina 1943 m – Vereinapass 2585 m – Lavin 1432 m; up c. 650 m, down c. 1150 m, c. 6 h 30 min.
Itinerary may be modified to take account of local weather conditions or for the security of the group.
Price and booking
CHF 650 per person (min. 4, max. 8 participants), including: 4 days’ guided hikes; 4 nights’ dormitory accommodation, 3 with half-board, 1 with breakfast only. Supplement for non-members of Swiss Alpine Club or affiliated national alpine club: CHF 25 for the week.
Price excludes: transport, insurances, picnic lunches, drinks.
If you are tempted, please contact me to discuss your needs!