Wednesday 31 July - Sunday 4 August
A long-distance historic trail in the footsteps of the Walser people in the high valleys of the Grisons: 18 one-day sections to be spread over four summers! In 2019 we take five days to hike from San Bernadino via Nufenen, Vals and Safiental to Thusis, discovering en route the culture and fascinating history of the Walser folk.
Historic alpine crossings; typical Walser settlements with wooden houses, barns and shingle roofing; varied trails taking us over scenic mountain passes and through species-rich alpine meadows, moors, stone pine and larch forests; the well preserved old village of Vals with its renowned thermal baths built from local quartzite; the calm and unspoilt natural landscape of Safiental.
Type of hiking
- 5 days of guided hikes, with discovery of the local flora and fauna, geology, history and culture.
- For enthusiastic walkers in good shape; 150‒1200 m ↑, 650‒1300 m ↓ and 4.5–7.5 hours of walking each day (excluding breaks), plus need to carry rucksack with clothes, picnics and overnight kit for the 5 days.
- Technical level: mostly T2 (Swiss Alpine Club grading) with possibly a few sections at T3.
- Overnight stays with half-board in dormitory accommodation or small rooms with showers available.
- Wednesday 31 July (start c. 9.00 a.m.): San Bernadino 1608 m– Alp Montagna – Alp da Val Massent – Nufenen 1569 m; c. 630 m ↑, 680 m ↓, 5 h.
- Thursday 1 August: Nufenen 1569 m – Valserberg 2503 m – Peiltal – Vals 1254 m; c. 1000 m ↑, 1300 m ↓, 7.5 h.
- Friday 2 August: Vals 1254 m – Alp Tomül – Tomülpass 2412 m ‒ Turrahus 1694 m; c. 1200 m ↑, 760 m ↓, 7 h.
- Saturday 3 August: Turrahus 1694 m – Thalkirch – Camanaboden – Safienplatz – Glaspass 1846 m; c. 950 m ↑, 800 m ↓, 6.5 h.
- Sunday 4 August: Glaspass 1846 m – Tschappina – Urmein – Thusis 697 m; c. 150 m ↑, 1300 m ↓, 4.5 h.
Itinerary may be modified to take account of local weather conditions or for the security of the group.
Price and booking
CHF 735 per person (min. 5, max. 8 participants), including: 5 days’ guided hikes; 4 nights’ accommodation in dormitories or small 2- to 4-bed rooms with half-board.
Price excludes: transport, insurances, picnic lunches, drinks.
Simply click on the “Book now” button to reserve your place. Booking deadline: 22 June 2019.