Tuesday 4 August - Saturday 8 August
FULLY BOOKED! A long-distance historic trail in the footsteps of the Walser people in the high valleys of the Grisons: 18 one-day sections to be spread over four summers! In 2020 we take five days to hike the second section, from Thusis to Mulegns, discovering en route the culture and fascinating history of the Walser folk.
Typical Walser settlements with wooden houses, barns and shingle roofing; varied trails taking us through species-rich alpine meadows, moors, stone pine and larch forests; the hamlet of Obermutten with its tiny timber church; the famous 12th-century painted ceiling of St Martin’s church in Zillis; the wild Roflaschlucht gorge; the rocky, alpine descent from Stallerberg into Val Faller.
Type of hiking
- 5 days of guided hikes, with discovery of the local flora and fauna, geology, history and culture.
- Hikes at level 3*/4*, for experienced walkers in good shape; up to 1200 m ↑ and 1400 m ↓ and 3.5–7 hours of walking each day (excluding breaks), plus need to carry rucksack with clothes, picnics and overnight kit for the 5 days.
- Technical level: mostly T2 (Swiss Alpine Club grading) with a few sections at T3.
- Overnight stays with half-board in twin rooms (3 nights) or dormitory (1 night) with showers available.
- Tuesday 4 August (meet Thusis at 11.30 a.m.): Mutten 1380 m – Obermutten – Muttner Höhi 2002 m – Obermutten 1863 m; c. 680 m ↑, 200 m ↓, 3-3.5 h.
- Wednesday 5 August: Obermutten 1863 m – Zillis – Andeer 982 m; c. 300 m ↑, 1200 m ↓, 5 h.
- Thursday 6 August: Andeer 982 m – Roflaschlucht – Innerferrera 1479 m; c. 950 m ↑, 460 m ↓, 5.5 h.
- Friday 7 August: Innerferrera 1479 m – Juf 2125 m; c. 1150 m ↑, 540 m ↓, 7 h.
- Saturday 8 August: Juf 2125 m – Stallerberg – Fuorcla da Faller 2837 m – Mulegns 1482 m; c. 770 m ↑, 1400 m ↓, 6 h.
Itinerary may be modified to take account of local weather conditions or for the security of the group.
Please note the start time on 4 August. Depending on where you live, you may need to spend Monday night already in Thusis.
Price and booking
CHF 790 per person (min. 6, max. 8 participants), including: 5 days’ guided hikes; 4 nights’ accommodation with half-board in twin rooms (3 nights) or dormitory (1 night), with shared showers available. Please also allow about CHF 15 for bus fares (with half-price card) and entry to gorge, church etc.
Price excludes: transport, insurances, picnic lunches, drinks.
Booking deadline: 30 June 2020.
COVID-19 pandemic: please carefully read my updated Terms and Conditions before signing up.