Sunday 7 August - Saturday 13 August
Historic passes, imposing summits, shimmering lakes, alpine pastures, fascinating geology, shady forests, an amazing diversity of alpine flowers… A hotel-based week of varied hiking amidst the breath-taking scenery of Parc Ela, the largest natural park in Switzerland and a unique biotope to explore on foot. We stay in the very comfortable and welcoming Hotel Post in Bivio, a small village situated on the historic Julier and Septimer pass routes. I look forward to sharing this wonderful region with you!
Type of hiking
- 6 days of guided hikes (Monday to Saturday), with discovery of the local flora and fauna, geology, history and culture.
- Hikes at level 3*, for enthusiastic walkers on good form; max. 1000‒1200 m up and down and 3‒7 hours’ walking per day (excluding breaks).
- Technical level: mostly T2 (Swiss Alpine Club grading), with rare short sections at T3.
Meet at the hotel in Bivio on the evening of Sunday 7 August.
Examples of day tours
Choice will depend on the local weather conditions and capacities of the group.
- Alp Flix: Veia Surmirana forest route; wonderful views from Kanonensattel; discovery of Alp Flix and its lakes.
- Spectacular pass route into Engadine: Roman Septimerpass and the triple watershed of Pass Lunghin; sparkling Lake Lunghin, the charming hamlet of Grevasalvas and down to the beautiful Sils lake in Engadine.
- Geological tour from the historic Julierpass back to Bivio: wild landscapes, a cool lake at 2700 m, pastureland; discovery of world history as we pass rock formations from the ancient African continent and the Tethys ocean.
- Stallerberg and Valletta da Beiva: up to Stallerberg and Uf da Flüe, perched high above the valley of Avers and Walser village of Juf; return via Valletta da Beiva and picnic beside the scenic Lake Columban.
- Val d’Err circuit: beautiful calm valley surrounded by 3000-m peaks (Piz Mitgel, Piz d’Err, Piz Ela); rich flora (fire lilies, edelweiss, orchids) and animals.
- Roccabella: Bivio’s “home” peak, offering stunning views in all directions.
Price and booking
CHF 1290 per person (min. 5, max. 10 participants), including: 6 days’ guided hikes; 6 nights’ accommodation in double rooms with half-board (4-course dinner); hotel sauna; Ela Card giving free use of local buses.
Price excludes: transport (except with Ela Card), insurance, picnic lunches, drinks, single-room supplement.
Simply click on the “Book now” button to reserve your place. Booking deadline: 1 July 2022.
COVID-19 pandemic: please carefully read my updated Terms and Conditions before signing up.